Sunday, June 2, 2019

An Auspicious Beginning



I spent the day catering to myself.

I slept late.

I read.

I did my Morning Pages. I've been doing them for a few years now, three long-hand written notebook pages. Stream-of-consciousness. I found this practice online. It's the idea of Julia Cameron from the iconic book, the Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity. I am just reading the book, now. The other main practice she advocates is the Artist's Date. Morning Pages are a daily practice. Artist Dates are a weekly practice. Today became my official first.

I prepared like a "real" date. I showered, styled my hair, put in my earrings.

Lunch was at Red Lobster. A Grand Patron Margarita, Caesar Salad, Cheddar Bay® Biscuits, Garlic Shrimp Scampi, Garlic-Grilled Sea Scallops, and the best asparagus I've had in ages. I read while I ate because I wanted. The biscuits, yummy as always, were perfect for soaking up all of the garlicky butter sauce.

My waiter, Jeffrey, had a british accent. I dropped a lettuce leaf from my salad on my breast and he never batted an eye.

After lunch, I went to Boundary Creek Park, my parents' favorite walking space. I took off my shoes, walked across the cool and prickly grass. There was a continuous breeze, soft and the same temperature as my skin so I felt like it was a part of me. I read.

The rumble of thunder (and jets and dump trucks on the highway nearby) along with a flash rainstorm chased me home.

And I found a penny, face up. Score!

Books read today:

the Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity - Julia Cameron

Less - Andrew Sean Greer

At the Far End of Nowhere - Christine Davis Merriman

Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within - Natalie Goldberg

2 comments:

Quilly said...

I believe I will investigate, “Writing Down the Bones.” Do you recommend it?

Tanza Erlambang said...

nice lists of books